Monday, September 17, 2012

Weekend Off!

So I've been learning to listen to my body lately. Last Friday, I was at the point where I was running on empty, coming off a week of craziness at work (ugh more mandatory O/T this week), constant running around (where did ALL those errands come from?!) and zero time for myself - I felt emotionally, physically and mentally exhausted. I needed a break.

Normally I would just push my way through it and trudge by. But I don't want to do that anymore. By not resting, my anxiety would turn into another migraine, and that was definitely something I wanted to avoid like the plague!!

So my plan for the weekend was to focus on rest, time for myself, and relaxation. First, I had to teach myself what it was to relax (Turn off your thoughts. Get a good book and a blanket. Kick back.) and it was just strange. While the kids napped, I relaxed. At first I kept feeling like I was forgetting something, but then I just realized that it was my constant "go go go" mode trying to kick in again. After I kicked that to the curb, I relaxed.

Lots of cuddles makes for a happy Team Lego!
Holy WOW. Did I ever need that.

I did only things this weekend that I wanted to do. I still did my housework (just because I needed some time off didn't mean my house had to fall apart!). I still went for walks with the kids. I still played and laughed and tickled the kids. I still made sure to workout. I just didn't have a "to do" list and it was wonderful. I concentrated on eating well, exercising smart, and laughing.
Off they go!

Eating well - baked honey garlic chicken, butternut squash with pumpkin spice, and steamed beans. 
My longest plan to date! #PlankADay
This weekend was exactly what I needed. My body doesn't feel tense. My mind is now stress-free. Anxiety is gone. And today, Monday morning, I feel refreshed and energized.
Ahhhhh this is the life!
Lesson learned: it pays to listen to the cues your body is giving you. I needed to take a time-out and now, I feel SO ready to take on the two crazy weeks coming up ahead, and am feeling more clear-headed and less stressed about it! Big yay :)

What do you do when you feel like you NEED to wind down?

Have a fabulous week, everyone! *hugs*

No comments:

Post a Comment