Monday, July 23, 2012

Oh-So-Moist Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes

These cupcakes are SO moist and chocolatey that you would swear they were absolutely horrible for your healthy lifestyle.


But they're nnnnnnnot!


I found the base recipe on Skinnytaste and as always, tickered with it to make it "mine"!


Preheat the oven to 350. Start with one package of chocolate cake mix (I prefer chocolate fudge cake - although someday I will be trying to make this from scratch!). Instead of using the eggs and oil as the box instructs you to, use a cup and a third of water, and one cup of pure pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling!). Then add a package of low-fat chocolate instant pudding mix. Blend until thoroughly mixed and spoon into your prepared cupcake liners. The batter will be very thick. Bake for as long as the box instructs you to (usually around 22 minutes). To make the recipe "mine", I added a small splash of vanilla extract and a small splash of orange extract. YUM!


To make larger cupcakes, I've been spooning the batter into 12 liners (which would make them 4 points each) but you can also make 24 small cupcakes for two points each.


For icing, I love using our homemade light chocolate mousse (see the recipe here). It is so light and creamy without being too rich, and perfectly compliments the moist chocolatey flavor of the cupcake. The icing adds one point per large cupcake, bringing the grand total to five points per yummy treat!


Yeah, these are pretty darned yummy and have gone over great at parties! Perfect for all chocolate lovers who want to stay on track :)


So .. to anyone that tasted these cupcakes at my place these past two weekends: did you know there was pumpkin in it?! Couldn't even taste it, huh?!

1 comment:

  1. lol I found you.. I went to Dereck's fb to send him a message but then I saw your blog. Love the title btw.

    ReplyDelete