Friday, February 15, 2013

Moist 'N' Healthy Carrot Muffins

A little while back, my mother in law gave us a couple of pouches of frozen minced carrots. She knows I love throwing veggies into just about everything, and that I'd make good use of them!

I've been a big fan of making my kids' afternoon snacks at home. Not only is it cheaper than buying snacks in-store, but it's also way healthier. I know exactly what goes into them - no preservatives, no high-fructose corn syrup, no crap!

So come this Monday's weekly food prep, carrot muffins were on the schedule. I looked online for a healthy recipe and was surprised at what I found - these "healthy" recipes were either all loaded with sugars or with tons of oil ..

So I took a chance and created a hybrid between some recipes and came up with my own .. And it worked beautifully!! The muffins are super moist and packed with flavor and nutrients.
Super moist! Look at those yummy walnuts!

Here's my recipe:

- 1 and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup peach-flavored yogurt (I used Astro Balkan yogurt)
- 4 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 and 1/2 cup of minced carrots
- 1 and 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup walnuts (optional)

- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a muffin pan with paper liners.

- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.

- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: applesauce, yogurt, vanilla, egg, and carrots.

- Using a wooden spoon, fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until well blended.

- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin liners (about half full). Bake for 18-20 minutes (or until a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean).

Ta da! A quick and nutritious snack to grab on the go or for a quick breakfast (these pair beautifully with coffee!).
Quick Brekky!
I hope you enjoy these as much as Team Lego does! My kids devour these muffins! Ha ha .. Eat up those veggies, kids! ;)

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea for a healthy treat! One of my favorite vegan restaurants serves these muffins and I always choose them as dessert. They have mixed some nuts and seeds into the dough and it was super delicious. Now that I found the recipe I can try it at home. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea, to have them for dessert!! :)

      Delete